Construction Industry Facts
- 6.7 Million people are employed in construction industry nationwide.
- 480 million spent each year on construction industry projects.
- 26,000 positions available in Arizona alone.
Winter 2005 - Arizona Department of Commerce
- Construction is the largest and fastest growing sectors in the Arizona economy and has a shortage of workers.
- Approximately 26,000 more carpenters, laborers,, and electricians are needed.
- Construction trades workers will be among the higher paid occupations.
Spring 2004 - Arizona Daily Start, by Becky Pallack
- Most needed are plasterers, carpenters, electricians, cabinetmakers, plumbers, painters, roofers and masons.
- Construction can also be a fast track to owning a company.
Winter 2005 - Alliance of Construction Trades, by Yvette Armendariz
- Demand led to the creation of 15,500 more jobs last year.
- Continued growth will exacerbate a shortage of skilled workers.
- Arizona construction jobs paid an average annual wage of $33,718 in 2003.
- The top 10 construction categories are projected to have 76,841 openings in Arizona.
- The positions expected to have the most openings:
Carpenters: 14,934 @ $15.79
Electricians: 6,052 @ $17.99
Plumbers: 4,841 @ $18.03
US Job Market Demand and Wages
| ||2002||2012||Current Average Wages|